THE ROUTE...updated

On April 14, 2008, we dipped our rear wheels in the Atlantic Ocean in Virginia Beach, VA and headed west along the Blue Ridge Parkway to Asheville, NC. We rode south of the Great Smoky Mountain National Park and there our plans derailed. Just before we crossed into Tennessee, Kellea got hit by a car. Though not badly hurt, Kellea's bruised ribs meant she wouldn't be able to bike for over a month. Our ride turned into a car journey, which is documented in the blog below. We tried to carry forward our original intentions of raising funds for two great groups and witnessing a different side of America.

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Why am I doing this? Kellea pontificates.


First, I am riding for the raw adventure, the thrill of the hitting the road and knowing these two legs are going to power me across the country. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t initially inspired by the physical challenge and the desire to learn more about this vast nation in the process. (And yes, I am kissing my shoe for good luck.)

Second, I’m going because I’ve told so many people I would. Self-imposed peer pressure and quitting a wonderful job are enough motivation in and of themselves.

Third, I believe in trying to align our lives with the people and ideas that matter most to us. If I can bring a little more awareness, hope and a few more resources to people dealing with breast cancer and lymphoma, this ride will have been a success.

Finally, how could I pass up the ride of a lifetime with my dad?

(With all this in mind, when we're trudging across Oklahoma or climbing in the Rockies, I'll still need your emails of support reminding me that I'm living the dream!)

No comments: